Hands up who else had an abundance of unused veg left after Christmas? I certainly did. Sprouts, carrots, parsnips and potatoes all hiding away at the bottom of the fridge and pantry. I buy more veg than I need for Christmas Dinner on purpose though, purely so I can use it to make a vat of soup a few days later, and this Spicy Butternut Squash & Parsnip Soup is just what I needed for lunch on a chilly day.
The best thing about this soup is that you can change and mix it up to suit whatever food you have leftover. For this version, I had a few extra carrots that needed to be used up so they made their way into the mixture too.
Spicy Butternut Squash & Parsnip Soup
1 Butternut Squash – Halved and seeds scooped out
3 Parsnips, peeled and chopped into large chunks
2 Carrots, peeled and chopped into large chunks
600ml vegetable or chicken stock
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
stalks and leaves from a small bunch of coriander, with a few leaves left to one side for garnish
1tsp ground cumin
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 200oc, place butternut squash, parsnips and carrots on a sheet pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Put in oven and roast for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool a little.
- While the roasted veg is cooling add a little olive oil to a high sided casserole dish and saute the chopped onion over a medium heat until soft.
- Add the ground cumin and red chilli and cook gently for a minute or two.
- Scoop out the butternut squash from the flesh and add to the pan along with the carrots and parsnips.
- Add the chicken stock, coriander stalks and leaves.
- Season to taste, stir and let the whole mixture come to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and let the mixture cool a little.
- Puree the mixture to a consistency of your liking using a hand blender.
- Check for seasoning, pour into bowls, garnish with a few coriander leaves and enjoy.
Pin me for later:
If you liked this then why not take a look at my other recipes.